Woodify increases the resistance of the instrument by changing its vibrating mode. I allows you to play with a greater air flow.
At the same time it makes the sound more focussed and less airy.
If you analyse the spectrum of the flute sound you will recognize defined overtones over the played fundamental as well as a characteristic noise fog around 11kHz. This fog is mainly produced by the air stream spread over the embrochure and is very characteristic for the flute sound. In fact this noise fog helps the sound to carry on a long distance, f.e. in a large concert hall. When we focus the tone by changing the embrochure, we reduce this noise fog and increase the harmonics, which result in a more centered tone. However, although the sound feels richer and louder, it does not carry on a long distance so well.
WOODIFY works as a tone-centerer; it amplifies the harmonics. At the same time it partially reduces the characteristic noise fog; the tone sounds therefore darker. The higher resistance of the instrument however allows you to play with more air, in turn adjusting the characteristic noise fog.
Long story short: You don’t have to work so much to find a focused tone. Concentrate more on getting a big, fluent air stream and you will get an overall louder and more projected sound.
WOODIFY changes the vibrating characteristic of the flute. Although you are used to your instrument, be open to experiencing it in this new way. Try out WOODIFY so, as you would try a flute you have never played before.
Consider the option of “balancing” your instrument: If your flute has a weak lower register and a very bright upper register, you may place WOODIFY closer to the tuning marker, ~3-5mm. If your instrument looses power in the upper register, try to place WOODIFY at a distance of ~7-10mm from the tuning marker.
• the tighter you fasten the screw, the greater the damping result. Don ́t worry; the instrument won ́t sustain any damage!
When finished playing: loosen the screw, remove the head-joint from the instrument and remove the ring. Import- ant: don ́t remove the head-joint from the instrument while WOODIFY is tightened up on the body of the flute.
Yes and no.
Try out some sample notes in different registers to check for intonation. You may notice that by playing with the same amount of air, you will be slightly flat when WOODIFY is placed on the instrument. This is a normal result of the increase of resistance (you can experience the same phenomenon when using a gold instrument opposed to silver).
Keep in mind that it does not really make sense to just tune up. WOODIFY increases the resistance of the instrument. A higher resistance means a brighter dynamic spectrum and greater flexibility in the tone. Try therefore to get used to this resistance and to exploit it. See how much air the instrument now takes (how loud you can play before the sound breaks). The intonation will be no issue as soon as you get used to your new instrument.
Woodify works best on instruments up to 41K gold.
Find out which model suits your flute best, by visiting our product page.
Yes, Woodify is made out of high quality woods from sustainable forests
WOODIFY is the result of years of research into the properties of the flute sound. Acoustic measurements have been done to display how Woodify changes the vibration mode of the instrument. It is build using hard woods with good elastic properties. Since the development of this innovative add-on, I am very interested in new materials and original solutions. I am also open to custom requests, so feel free to write me a message via website, email or socials.
If you are satisfied with WOODIFY, please share your impressions on the official FB page or leave a review in the shop
Mounting & Care
Mounting Woodify on the instrument is very easy!
Please visit the Explore section on our website to find out how to mount it correctly.
Woodify is made out of wood and is attached to the head-joint through a fastening screw. Since wood is a softer material than metal, when sliding the ring on the tube, there is no scratching involved. However after some time, there might be some traces on the tube. This traces can be easily removed by polishing the tube in a flute workshop. Ask your trusted flute dealer for assistance, if you want to remove the traces.
However there is no possibility of damaging the instrument. The screw is designed to apply only a certain degree of pressure to the instrument, needed to create the desired sound effect.
During the first period of use (usually 2-3 weeks) you may notice some more friction when mounting the head-joint on the instrument. WOODIFY will naturally loose some superficial particles which increase rubbing between the head-joint and the instruments body. This can be easily avoided by cleaning up the head-joint and inner main body on a daily basis before inserting it on the body.
The wooden ring is coated with a water- and sweat-proof finish. Clean Woodify with a soft cloth. You can apply some light oil, such as linseed or almond oil. Remove the oil after a few minutes with some paper or a cotton cloth. The oil nourishes the wood and makes it shine.
About Wave & Twig
Feel a more secure grip to your instrument
Woodify Wave and Twig solutions are designed to improve your comfort and connection to the flute.
These high quality wooden rests ensure a great comfort, while integrating with the instrument acoustically. The great acoustic properties of wood ensure the transmission of all the vibrations of the instrument. You feel more connected to the instrument and to the sound, while feeling a secure grip on your flute.
The woodify Wave is a left hand finger rest. Increase the distance of the hand from the mechanics to release tensions and improve technical agility.
Puts the hand automatically in a natural position.
The woodify Twig is a right hand finger rest. It helps to improve the stability of the thumb. The ideal shape ensures a great flexibility in placement.
The compact shape feels very comfortable and the solution fits in every flute case. No need to remove it.
Yes, Woodify Wave & Twig can fit in every flute case. Once attached to the instrument, you can leave it on.
The Woodify Wave & Twig come with a double-sided tape.
1) try first to find the best position for the rest, without removing the adhesive cover. Use a pen to mark the placement on the tube.
2) remove the adhesive cover and place the Wave GENTLY on the tube, without pressing too much and check with your hand in place if the position suits you. Be careful to not press too much on the Wave. In this step you might be able to remove and re-attach the adhesive a few times.
3) once you found the correct position, press firmly with both thumbs on the rest, so to really attach the Wave.
4) Don’t touch the instrument for 30-40 minutes, in order for the adhesive to really seal.
1) remove the old adhesive from the wooden part. Clean off from the flute and from the wood any part of the adhesive or glue that may be left.
2) Cut a rectangular shaped strip of adhesive and attach it firmly to the Woodify Wave.
3) Before removing the adhesive cover, try placing the Wave in the right spot. Use a permanent marker or a pencil to mark the correct position of the Wave.
4) remove the adhesive cover and place the Wave GENTLY on the tube, without pressing too much and check with your hand in place if the position suits you. Be careful to not press too much on the Wave. In this step you might be able to remove and re-attach the adhesive a few times.
5) once you found the correct position, press firmly with both thumbs on the rest, so to really attach the Wave.
6) Don’t touch the instrument for 30-40 minutes, in order for the adhesive to really seal.